Slider
Slider

|

Slider

Governor lauds NMI community, first responders for fighting Covid-19

Local
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

GOVERNOR Ralph DLG Torres said on Monday that he felt “very blessed” because of the hard work of the first responders on the islands and the cooperation of the community members in fighting the spread of Covid-19 in the CNMI.

As May 18, the CNMI had recorded 21 Covid-19 cases with 12 recoveries, two deaths, and seven active cases. Guam, in contrast, had 154 confirmed cases, 126 recoveries and five deaths. The U.S., for its part, had 1.52 million confirmed cases, 281,000 recoveries, and close to 90,000 deaths.

Torres noted that the CNMI tally, so far, remains far below the projection of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which predicted 3,676 cases by May 9, and 6,500 by May 20.

The governor said since Covid-19 outbreak reached the CNMI, the government, through the Commonwealth Healthcare Corp. and the Covid-19 Task Force, has been working hard to protect the public from the virus.

Even before the first case was reported on island, the Commonwealth was “doing everything we could that even other territories and states had not done during that period. We continued the aggressive approach, making decisions that could have been made three to four months from now…. We have been doing everything not just to flatten the curve but to stop the spread of the virus as much as we can,” the governor said.

“But it’s not just the government,” he added.

“It is the whole community, along with the first responders, who did a lot in helping flatten the curve because everybody has a stake in this fight,” the governor said.

Torres said based on his conversations with FEMA officials, there will be a “second wave” of infections.

“But with the way we are handling it so far, we are in good hands, as long as we fight this pandemic together,” the governor said.

CHCC Chief Executive Officer Esther Muna said early prevention was key to preventing the spread of Covid-19.

CHCC, she added, started preparing in January. “There has been a lot of preventive actions that we took with the support of the governor, and those were the key ingredients.  So it’s not just the hospital, but the government working together to make sure we have the capacity to manage what is in front of us,” Muna said.

 

 

November 2020 pssnewsletter

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider

Read more articles

Visit our Facebook Page

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider